Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bouquet Fizz


Ok, I’m back and I know I haven’t posted anything in a while but you know how it goes, we all get a little busy. But don’t worry I have something I really think you’ll like. I’ve been working on a new drink for a little while now and it’s taken quite a few turns and I’ve had to burn through quite a few drinks but I think I have it. I call it the Bouquet Fizz and man is it refreshing. It’s a perfect warm weather drink that literally anyone can enjoy. 

Get This:

1 ½ oz Broker’s Gin
½ oz St. Germain Elderflower
½ Crème de Yevette or Creme de Violette
¾ oz Hibiscus Simple Syrup (See Below)
1 oz Lime Juice
2-3 dashes Scrappys Lavender Bitters
Soda Water
Lemon Zest for Garnish

For the Hibiscus Syrup you’ll need 1 cup of water, 1 cup superfine sugar, and ¼ cup dried hibiscus pedals. Combine it all over medium high heat until sugar dissolves then allow it to cool. If you’re worried about finding dried hibiscus don’t be. It’s much easier than you may think. I found them on Amazon, and you get a lot for your money.

Do This:

Combine all ingredients into an ice filled cocktail shaker, shake and double strain into a Collins glass filled with fresh ice. Top it off with a splash of soda water and garnish with a large piece of lemon zest.

What you’re left with is a drink that’s a little sweet, a little tart, and very floral, it’s an incredible drink that you can sip on while soaking up some sun. At first when I was making the drink I was using far too much elderflower and simple syrup, I really wanted that floral note to stick out but it was way too sweet. I was also using lemon juice instead of lime juice and it just wasn’t quite right. So I dialed back the elderflower and simple syrup and went to lime juice.  Well thankfully I nailed it, the hibiscus and lime pair perfectly and this cocktail is one that I’ll have often this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment